Estrogen is a hormone that plays an important role in the endocrine system. Candida is a yeast that is naturally occurring in our guts. Estrogen can support the growth of Candida and Candida overgrowth encourages estrogen dominance. Research also shows that a common cause of Candida overgrowth is the use of oral contraceptives. While these two systems seem separate in the body, the most current research tells us otherwise.
If you suspect you have an overgrowth of Candida and it may be contributing to your PMS, consider –
1. Including fermented foods and drinks in your diet. Miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, kim chi, kefir, yoghurt, quark.
2. Limiting your refined sugar. Sugar feeds yeast, weakens the immune system, and blocks hormone receptors.
3. Over over-eating, and late night eating.
4. Taking a high-quality omega 3 oil like Lifestreams ‘V Omega’. Omega-3s have been found to alleviate inflammation, linked to symptoms like pain and acne, and signs of emotional distress, like depression or anxiety.
5. Love your Liver. Among other things, the liver helps to detoxify the body of excess estrogen. If your liver is clogged then oestrogen dominance will occur and that ain’t what we want. Not at all.