It’s that time of year when many of us are thinking maybe that week of Pina Colada’s and chips lounging around the pool may not have been the best idea. Guilt and fear have set in. But no need to panic, because there is a safe and easy way to get back to your pre-silly season weight and vitality, fast.
We’ve all heard about the importance of the liver’s role in detox, but what about the other 5 ways we can eliminate waste from our bodies? Yes the liver is our major organ of detox’ but if any of the other 5 channels are blocked or burdened then it will put extra stress on all of them. The weakest link in this case will cause problems for the other channels of elimination, making us feel like a wheelie bin after Xmas. We need to be constantly removing waste from our bodies via these 6 channels, so it’s important we keep them all functioning as efficiently as possible. And in fact it’s not that hard.
A lot more toxins are coming into our bodies and staying there these days. There’s an influx of them coming from medications including the Pill, painkillers and HRT, household cleaning products and cosmetics, also our food is pretty toxic unless it’s grown organically, and then there’s all the hidden toxins inside our homes in our mattress, couch, computers, carpets and kid’s toys’. This is causing a toxic overload in our bodies. By this I mean the amount of toxic chemicals we are exposed to, circulating in our bodies are outweighing the rate at which our 6 channels of elimination can remove/detox them. So, lets give them a hand.
Below are our 6 elimination channels, and some easy ways to help the exit of toxic build up from each channel. These toxic, free radicals contribute to oxidative stress that lead to a very unhappy body, and mind.
- Liver – Chlorella, spirulina, iron-rich foods, herbal medicine and tea including Dandelion Root, lemon water in the morning, Epsom salts, broccoli and green leafy veggies
- Skin – skin brushing, sweating, avoiding toxic body products
- Lungs – Deep breathing, exercise, hyperbaric oxygen chamber, time in nature, meditation herbal medicine and tea including ginger
- Bowel – Psyllium husks, digestive enzymes, fibre-rich foods, Aloe Vera herbal medicine like licorice and Chamomile, colonic irrigation, enemas, bentonite clay, Epsom salts
- Kidneys – A steady intake of clean water, herbal medicine and tea like Celery, mediation
- Lymphatic system – Rebounding, exercise, skin brushing, massage, zen chi machine
I personally like starting my day with ritual, especially at this time of the year when we’re all trying to get back into some kind of routine, and lose those extra kilos that have found their way onto our bodies. A morning ritual sets me up for the day and helps me to remain mindful about my intentions for that day. If I rush out of the house in the morning then I’m a bit off all day, and so is my gut, and mood. Try to take a few minutes for yourself in the morning; it’s an investment in your future. It’ll be worth it.
- Oil Pulling – This will remove the toxins that have built up overnight, or at least brush your teeth before eating or drinking. You don’t want to wash those nasty bacteria down into your gut.
- Aloe Vera – Take 30 mgs on an empty tummy. Do this again before bed if you can. This is one of the best things you can do for gut issues. What Native Americans call the “Wand of the Heaven” is one of nature’s most gentle, yet potent, digestive healers. If you’re suffering from digestive disorders, including leaky gut or fructose malabsorption, add aloe to your diet.
- Lemon Water: Squeeze half a lemon in half a glass of warm water. This will help to alkaline your system. The lemon will give the liver a kick-start, and the warm water will stimulate digestion. You can also add some sliced or grated ginger or turmeric if you like. Or try adding Lifestream’s Honey + Ginger Syrup with manuka honey for extra health benefits.
- Breakfast: Instead of skipping breakfast altogether when you’re wanting to slim down and perk up a little, a smoothie is ideal as you can put all your nutritional needs in one glass. Include Lifestream’s Essential Greens+ (containing spirulina and chlorella) for it’s ability to detox and cleanse, its protein and iron levels and it’s good affect on the liver; and Lifestream’s Bowel Biotics Fibre that includes psyllium husks and loads of pre and pro-biotics for great gut health. Throw in some coconut water and pineapple for its ability to stimulate digestive enzymes, and you’re on your way to achieving great health from the inside out.
Janella Purcell 2016
image credit to Urine Drug Test.