It’s a wonderful anti-inflammatory (sooo important), a liver tonic and estrogenic, and research has proven that eating about 1 tablespoon dried turmeric a week (1 tsp fresh) reduces our chances of getting Alzheimer’s by around 50%. Here’s an easy and very popular recipe using turmeric.
‘Lentil Patties’ Gf, Df, Vg, V, SF, NF, GrF
Makes 12-16 fritters
1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 small onion or leek, diced
1 tbsp coriander stems, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp fresh turmeric, grated or 1 tbsp dried
1 cup green beans, diced
1 cup sweet potato, grated
1 medium zucchini, grated and squeezed dry
1 tbsp chia seeds
1x 400g BPA- free can brown lentils, drained
½ cup fresh mixed herbs, like parsley, mint, dill, basil, coriander, chopped
½ tbsp sea salt or tamari, or to taste
½ cup of brown rice flour (or any you like)
2 tbsp olive or coconut oil, to cook in
In a heavy based pan sauté your onions and coriander stems in the oil over a medium heat until translucent. Next add the garlic, ginger and turmeric and stir for a few more seconds. Then add all the veggies and chia seeds and stir well to coat in the oil and herbs. Remove from the heat.
In a processor place the lentils and blitz for a few seconds. Now add the veggie mixture, herbs and salt. Slowly add the flour until you have a firm mixture. You can also do this by hand using a fork to mash the lentils.
Wipe out the same pan with a paper towel then heat it again over a medium heat. Add the oil. With wet hands make balls about the size of a large walnut, then flatten into a pattie. Fry until golden on both sides. Drain on a kitchen towel.
– You can coat the patties in flour before frying for a crispier coat, or bake them.
– 1 tbsp lemon or lime rind in with the veggies
– For an Indian flavour, add 2 tsp ground cumin or curry paste in after the onions have softened and stir for a minute
– Use any legume
– Add one cup of cooked quinoa, millet or brown rice in with the lentils. You may want to process the mixture so it becomes smoother in this case
– Add 1 tsp grated turmeric or 1 tbsp ground in with the ginger
– Serve on a bun or in a wrap with Tahini Sauce, Hummus or Pesto and leafy greens. #turmericweek #lentilpatties #janellapurcell