A gorgeous recipe from my latest book Janellas Super Natural Foods.
An easy recipe using raw cacao powder and buckwheat flour. You can use brown rice flour instead of the oat flour to make these gluten free. Add 1 tbsp maca powder for extra energy boost and hormone balance.
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder (low allergy)
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk, coconut, almond or rice milk
1/4 cup raw beetroot juice (approximately 1/3 of a medium beet) or you can buy it (see earlier post)
2 tbsp rice syrup, coconut nectar, or raw agave
1 tsp good vanilla esssence
1/2 a flax egg (1 tsp ground flaxseed + 2-3 tsp warm water, mixed to gel)
coconut oil for frying
1/2 cup raw cacao powder, extra
3/4 cup coconut oil, extra
2 tbsp cacao butter
1-2 tbsp coconut nectar or rice syrup
A few drops vanilla essence
- In a small bowl, mix the flax with warm water and set aside to gel. Juice your beetroot and set aside. (Make more and drink it.)
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
In smaller bowl, whisk together the juice, mylk, sweetener, vanilla and flax egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix till just combined. The batter will be pretty thick and gooey.
- Add about 1 tsp coconut oil to a (preferably) cast iron skillet and heat to low to medium heat. Pour in about 1/4 batter at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping once in between. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place a stainless steel or glass bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Add the cacao power, oil, butter and vanilla and mix well to combine. Adjust consistency with more oil or butter.
- Pour over the top and serve with fresh fruit like mangoes, strawberries, passionfruit or blueberries.