HEMP has the perfect balance of Omegas 3,6 & 9 – 2:1:1, as this is the ratio in which they are found naturally in human cells. I use @MadeInHemp Canadian seeds, oil and protein powder coz they are certified organic, and the best quality I have found. And they taste so much better than other brands. Add 1 tsp to your smoothie and watch your skin glow and inflammation decrease. (I’m slightly addicted to hemp seeds, clearly.)
Many EFA (essential fatty acid) supplements are blended to reach this golden ratio of 2:1:1, but hemp oil naturally contains the omegas in these proportions. And as they are all from this one perfect source, the body can metabolize the omegas in hemp more readily, so is easily able to reap the benefits.
Grown since ancient times and documented as far back as Ancient China, Hemp contains its own built in insecticide called ‘terpene’, which is responsible for its pungent smell.
Pests don’t like hemp, maybe due to the ‘terpene’, so there’s no need for toxic sprays.
Hemp and marijuana are both varieties of cannabis – but ‘Industrial Hemp’ contains very little if any (0.03 or less) THC (the stuff that gets you ’high’) while marijuana contains around 30%.
Hemp has a unique, easy to digest and absorb protein called ‘Edestin’. Like soybeans it is a complete protein, meaning it contains all 22 amino acids – AND it contains antioxidants. It naturally contains 50% protein and after processing may be increased to 97%. Hemp contains no carbohydrates and is more stable than other hemp products. It’s a great alternative to the less digestible (and desirable) soy and whey protein powders.
Some more health benefits of hemp –
– Weight loss by increasing metabolic rate
– Increased and sustained energy, and recovery after chronic fatigue
– Balancing blood pressure
– Helps reduce behavioural issues in children and adults
– Improved circulation
– Reduction of menopausal symptoms and PMT
– Reduces arterial plaques
– Makes for a soft and velvety skin and helps with acne, psoriasis and eczema
– Reduces inflammation thanks to the Omega oils
– Improves digestion
– Reduces arthritis and osteoarthritis
– Reduces hypertension
– Boosts immunity
– Reduces sugar and junk food cravings
– Improves brain function, probably due to the protein and EFA content
– Control of blood sugar due to the high protein content (33% when hulled)
– Contains good amounts of soluble and insoluble fibre
– Helps relieve the symptoms of AIDS
– Symptoms of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s reduced thanks to Glutamic acid – a neuro-transmitter
– Liver and kidney disease reduced due to albumin, a protein usually manufactured by the liver